Tips from Dr. Laurie Sheppard, mom of three, and a chiropractic physician at Total Health in Florham Park:
Sleeping during pregnancy might seem impossible. Some tips to get some rest include:
- Stretch and relax before bed with a pregnancy yoga video. Some simple stretches can help prevent cramping in your legs during the night.
- Use, use, use the pillows!! You can get an extra-long pregnancy pillow or just grab some extra ones that you have lying around. Sleep on your side with a pillow between your thighs and put a pillow under your belly to alleviate pressure and raise your abdomen.
- Make one last trip to the bathroom before you turn out the light to sleep.
Potential benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include:
- Relieving back, neck or joint pain
- Maintaining a healthier, smoother pregnancy
- Reducing the time of labor and delivery
"With my pregnant patients, I’ve found that they maintain a more comfortable pregnancy throughout the 40 weeks by receiving regular chiropractic adjustments. This also promotes a balanced pelvis, which means the baby has a lower chance of moving into a breech or posterior position.
While it's true that the mainstay of the chiropractic profession is adjustment of the spine, most chiropractors also adjust the pelvis as a routine part of treatment. Chiropractors that have been trained to work with pregnant women use tables that adjust for a pregnant woman’s body, and they will use techniques that avoid unneeded pressure on the abdomen. Total Health utilizes those “drop” tables which allow for pregnant women to lay face down and avoid any pressure on their bellies."
– Dr. Laurie Sheppard